Monday, March 26, 2007

Personal Story: No One Uses Social Bookmarking!

You'll have to start at this story if you haven't read it yet. It was too long to put in one post!

Americans Say Web Is Useless

Personal Story: "Social Bookmarking Sites Are Useless"

Here's a story for you. I had a client, venture capitalist who thought he was really in on the internet and it's new technologies. Under his suggestion, wanted me to start bookmarking some of his articles through social bookmarking sites. So, I created some accounts and began to bookmark his articles, and other relevant articles to his industry.

One day passed, and he said that there was really no point. They weren't getting traffic because of it, and he thought about it and said, "Who really uses bookmark sites anyway? I need some PROOF"

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW!



I tried explaining to him the importance of natural placement, and why Google uses social bookmarking sites as a way to find naturally placed important articles, that users are already deeming important and relevant. I tried to explain that the days of "tricking" Google are slowly fading and will soon be gone. Anyway, it's another web 2.0 theory, things are difficult to explain.

So, in my own fit of geekdom pride I decided I WOULD prove it. I took 3 of his newest articles, un-indexed by Google, and bookmarked them through a few social bookmarking sites. Then, right in front of the non-believer, Googled the titles of the articles. Sure enough, his articles were indexed by at least 2 of the bookmarking sites on the FIRST page of Google, and not at all yet indexed through his website. Proof enough?

Search Niche-Tech-News!

Google