Monday, March 26, 2007

Americans Say Web Is Useless. What Nerds Should Know

Just Under a third of all households in America have absolutely NO internet access and never plan on getting it as they see no use for it, according to a survey. More...

Should I just end it all now?

It's funny that I should read this article today, as I just had a VERY long conversation with my Dad about the future of the internet, what I should know about my target demographic, what regular everyday non-nerds use the internet for and how I can go about "helping" them through web development ideas.

As an internet and web enthusiast...and aspiring internet entrepreneur, I have already come to terms with this sad fact of reality. It's no surprise really; if everyone in the U.S. had the technology addiction I am deeply afflicted with, there would probably be no room on the table for my measly ideas and specialized skills. Just like I know jack about cooking, a fancy chef doesn't know much about what I do.

Too bad 1/3 of Americans didn't say they aren't interested in food and never will be...(sigh)

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW!




Really though, I not only knew this, I have been face to face with the plague that is the internet ignorance...And it sucks! So, I decided to write a little list.

Web Aspects That I can never fully communicate to Those Who Need To Know

...Whatever, if that doesn't make sense just read the list you'll get it.

1. Web 2.0:

"This website looks like a kindergarten website. Why are there images for every link? Why do I have to scroll halfway down the page to get to the man area? Can you design me one of those cool flash intros...Ya know, with music and pictures!"

Oh my, where to begin. I really don't have time to elaborate too much, I'll keep it simple and theory-like.

Basically, creativity is a very important aspect of web design. But, the industry has decided what works, the industry knows what keeps a user on the page, what helps them navigate through the page, what search engines look for, what colors enhance the screen view. We know what works, it is SUPPOSED to be standard. Of course, it will be forever until it is, but just understand that it is in your best interest to stick with the standard, the standard is the future. We can get creative from there!

2. SEO and Web Marketing

"Hey, I want to be in the top position for the word, 'Construction.'"

"What, you can't do that? Well, I know of lots of companies that can get me in the top position in like, 2 days."

"Bookmarking sites? Blogs? No one uses those! I need some proof that the digg site is bringing me traffic...real live proof, right now."

Please read this article to read a personal story of when I had to deal with this:

Social Bookmarking Sites Are Useless!


3. Easy automations and web applications

"If it's not broke don't fix it."

Fine, go ahead through life saying that and see how far you get. Just because you don't understand the internet, doesn't mean it's not a part of your industry or the business market for that matter.

Personal story:

I worked for a company that used word documents for their forms. I'm talking complicated forms, where they would have to use calculators to add everything up, take the percentage, divide, etc. Mistakes were made, almost every day.

So, I designed some automated forms, that filled in the blanks, no need for a calculator. Spent one whole day redesigning the forms. Not only were they more functional, they were prettier too! What thanks did I get?

"If it's not broke, don't fix it"

I think that's enough for now, I doubt anyone even read down this far!

Search Niche-Tech-News!

Google