Saturday, September 15, 2007

ASP.NET 2.0 Vs. Everything Else

A few months ago I began learning ASP.NET using Visual Web Developer and the tools that come with it. ASP.NET 2.0 is a web application frame work, created by Microsoft and used to develop dynamic website applications. This language is the alternative to PHP for website development.

As far as hosting goes, ASP.NET 2.0 will need to use a Windows server ,while PHP can use a Linux.

As a semi-Noob web developer, I had only been using PHP for website development, while of course utilize MySQL for database applications. The programs I used to develop websites with PHP and MySQL was Dreamweaver. While, I coded most of the websites by hand, Dreamweaver helped me to organize my sites and the CSS files I was using.

ASP.NET 2.0 on the other hand, is typically used with the Microsoft web editing program, "Visual Web Developer." The Visual Web Developer Express version is absolutely free, and even comes with a free small server to test out your applications.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW


The reason I'm even talking about this right now, is because I was baffled, amazed, star struck and excited when I first decided to take the plunge and begin using Visual Web Developer and ASP.NET 2.0. I'm sure there are others out there who are thinking, "....Noob..." But, still, there may be others thinking, "Really? I should try it!" Yes...YOU SHOULD! The language is far more intuitive than PHP, Visual web developer is all around BETTER (for lack of a better word) than Dreamweaver, and you can begin creating dynamic websites and database driven applications in no time at all.

I'm officially in love, and will never go back to using PHP unless I want to play with my favorite CMS programs I have spent so much time learning, like the Open Source Software Joomla.

I also wanted to help anyone out there, who may have a similar skill set, find quality books to guide you on your way to learning ASP.NET 2.0 and Visual Web developer. When I first fell in love, I bought 5 ASP.NET books. Yep, count em' 5! That's because I'm crazy like that. Now, to help you avoid making any mistakes like I did, and purchasing 5 very expensive programming books, here's the run down on the books I bought and who they're for, in order of **My favorites!*** to ***My least Favorites***. Now, my favorites may not necessarily be your favorites.

Check out the list at my latest post:

Visual Web Developer and ASP.NET 2.0 Best Books

Search Niche-Tech-News!

Google