Thursday, June 14, 2007

Google Maps And The Big Brother Controversy

Google Maps recently came out with this nice little add-on gadget to the Google maps tool called, "street view." Basically, it allow any viewer to see a street view, hence the name, of the exact location they are looking for. What does this mean to the naked eye public?

  • Spy on your boyfriend while he's at work
  • See what your friends are doing when you're not around
  • Spy on your X-Boyfriend in an entirely other state!
Of course the Google Maps Street view tool is becoming somewhat of a controversy amongst those who stay in the know on internet security, privacy and law. Hell, it's becoming an issue for just about anyone in the few cities that Google does allow the "Street view" tool to be used. And yes, it is just a few cities that have this feature activated and running.

Are you in one of the cities that allow any and all internet users watch your every waking move?

Well, I don't know, but here are the cities that Google Maps CURRENTLY tracks...Currently in caps because they are sure to broaden their scheme...

San Francisco, CA

Las Vegas, NV

Denver, CO

Miami, FL

And, Drum roll please?

New York, NY

Personally, I am scared. Granted, I'm a little phobic and paranoid generally, but I am just very very scared. I wrote a post recently on the cool Microsoft gadget that lets you view any place in full 3-D mode just by using photos and images found on the web, and I think that technology is just getting a little too invasive for my taste.

read that article here: Microsoft Photosynth Tool Online

Both the Microsoft tool and the Google tool are targeted at this point. Meaning, you can view everything, everywhere all the time because they don't, obviously, have the resources for that...YET. But, they want to have the resources for that OBVIOUSLY, and it's damn scary!

I definitely don't want to worry if my Mother is watching me stumble in late one night after a hard night out. Also, working in an internet savvy environment, I definitely don't want to worry if my boss is watching my house the day I call in sick!

Anyway, throw out your ideas, comments, suggestions, thoughts. I'd love to hear them. And, remember, I am a lover of technology, not a hater. Just a bit anxious right now at the alarming rate of invasive technological developments.

External Link Resources


Google Maps Tool
Do We Have An Expected Right to Internet Anonymity?
CNET News Report: Google Moves Creeping You Out?

Related Technology News Posts


Microsoft Photosynth Tool
Google Shareholder's Proxy Statement
Intel Inside Partners with Google

Search Niche-Tech-News!

Google